Today we are celebrating the festival of Narali-Pournima. During the monsoon season fishermen stop sailing and fishing in the sea. Pournima stands for the full moon day of the month. People offer coconuts (Coconut = Naral in Marathi) to the sea in the “Shravan” month on this full moon day. Hence, the name of the festival is Narali-Pournima. This festival also marks the beginning of the new fishing season. To celebrate this occasion, a sweet rice and coconut dessert is usually made in every home. Here is the delicious recipe for folks who are nuts about coconut.
This is the original recipe from designX6’s “Cook With Me” App. Enjoy!
Total Time Required : 25 to 30 min. Servings : 2
- 1/2 cup white basmati rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoon unsalted butter (Or coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cashews
- 3 whole cloves
- 7-8 saffron strands (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Rinse the rice at least 2 to 3 times and drain well.
- Take a small cooking pot with high sides and tight fitting lid. Put the pot on the stove.
- Turn on the stove to medium setting and put teaspoon of butter (or coconut oil) in the pot.
- As the butter (or oil) starts melting add chopped cashews, cardamom powder, cloves in the pot.
- Add drained rice and stir the rice to coat each grain with butter. Toast the rice for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- After the rice is toasted add unsweetened coconut flakes, water and salt to the pot. Stir it together.
- Cover the pot and let the rice cook. Keep stirring the rice in the intervals. About 2 to 4 minutes.
- After all the water has been absorbed by rice add the sugar and brown sugar, and coconut milk to the rice.
- Add the the saffron now if using it.
- Stir the rice carefully (make sure not to break the rice kernel) to melt all sugar.
- After sugar has been melted put the lid back on the pot, turn off the heat and let it set for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes stir the rice again, discard the whole cloves in the rice and serve hot.
For years, me and my family have enjoyed this coconut rice. I hope you enjoy as well!