Hi there! I made peanut butter cookies recently and thought I should share this recipe with my blog readers. I always liked to eat peanuts. In India when I was a little girl we would go to a speciality shop. In Marathi, the shop is called as Bhadabhunja (bha-duh-bhun-ja) shop. They only use to sell salted roasted peanuts, roasted chickpeas, rice puffs, wheat puffs, sorghum puff, rice cereals, etc. There was one such shop in the neighborhood where my grandparents lived. That shop is still there and run by the owner’s future generations. Everytime I visit India I make sure to get some goodies from the shop especially roasted, salted peanuts.
After moving in US I encounter peanuts in different forms than I used to in India. I started liking peanut butter and then peanut butter cookies. I experimented with different peanut butter cookie recipes and finally made my own. I have been using this recipe from last 10 years. I am sure you will enjoy this recipes as well. Give it a try!
Peanut butter cookies : Makes 36-40 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder (this really enhances the flavor of the cookie)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts chopped coarsely
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt) together. Keep it aside.
- In a food processor bowl add butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and regular sugar. Cream everything together to a smooth mixture. As you will start creaming the mixture it will become pale in color and will become fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs one at a time in the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
- After mixing in the eggs, add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture in 3 batches. Make sure not to overmix the batter.
- Fold in the chopped peanuts in the cookie batter.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture into your palm and roll the dough and place it on the baking sheet.
- Flatten the rolled dough with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern on the cookies. Sprinkle sugar on top of the cookies.
- Bake the cookies until golden brown around the edges about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on your oven) switching the position of the sheets halfway through baking. Transfer to racks to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
A Baker’s Note:
- Instead of using combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour, you can use 2 1/2 cups of plain all purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- For Peanut butter – chocolate chip cookies : Replace 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts by 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- if you like your cookies sweeter then roll the dough ball in granulated sugar before baking.